Scouts lead conservation day at Harpenden reserve
A SCOUT pack are leading a conservation and fundraising day at a nature reserve in Harpenden on Sunday (June 5).
Fourth Harpenden Scouts and The Upper Lea Valley Group are working together in the event between 10am and 4pm at Batford Springs Nature Reserve to conserve the beauty and amenity of the popular communal area.
The partnership began four years ago under the late scout leader Brian Arnsby and since then the scouts have learned valuable conservation and team skills, at the same time as working towards the Scouts Environmental Challenge Award.
Sunday’s event is the culmination of a year-long fundraising campaign to support expedition and camping activities including the Harrlem Jamborette in August 2011 – a 10 day international event in Holland which several scouts from the pack will be attending.
The scouts will be fundraising throughout the day in a variety of ways including a raffle for which tickets are still available at �1 with an iPhone, Samsung I9000 Galaxy S, Nintendo 3DS, Xbox 360 and an iPod Touch up for grabs.
The Scout’s mess tent will be on-site providing refreshments throughout the day for volunteers and visitors alike and there will also be opportunities to sponsor scouts.
After the work has finished a plaque to be attached to a new bench in memory of Brian Arnsby will be unveiled. There will also be a presentation of Gold Award scout badges by Jane Murray followed by the raffle draw.
- 1 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 2 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 3 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 4 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins
- 5 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 6 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 7 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 8 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
- 9 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 10 History in the making as Colney Heath Ladies reach county cup final for first time
Brian was a popular leader, unstinting in his support for young people in the community.