Scouts lead conservation day at Harpenden reserve
A SCOUT pack are leading a conservation and fundraising day at a nature reserve in Harpenden on Sunday (June 5).
Fourth Harpenden Scouts and The Upper Lea Valley Group are working together in the event between 10am and 4pm at Batford Springs Nature Reserve to conserve the beauty and amenity of the popular communal area.
The partnership began four years ago under the late scout leader Brian Arnsby and since then the scouts have learned valuable conservation and team skills, at the same time as working towards the Scouts Environmental Challenge Award.
Sunday’s event is the culmination of a year-long fundraising campaign to support expedition and camping activities including the Harrlem Jamborette in August 2011 – a 10 day international event in Holland which several scouts from the pack will be attending.
The scouts will be fundraising throughout the day in a variety of ways including a raffle for which tickets are still available at �1 with an iPhone, Samsung I9000 Galaxy S, Nintendo 3DS, Xbox 360 and an iPod Touch up for grabs.
You may also want to watch:
The Scout’s mess tent will be on-site providing refreshments throughout the day for volunteers and visitors alike and there will also be opportunities to sponsor scouts.
After the work has finished a plaque to be attached to a new bench in memory of Brian Arnsby will be unveiled. There will also be a presentation of Gold Award scout badges by Jane Murray followed by the raffle draw.
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 4 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 5 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 6 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 7 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 8 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 9 Olympic legend Denise Lewis unveils inspirational mural in St Albans
- 10 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
Brian was a popular leader, unstinting in his support for young people in the community.