Scottish-themed gathering is back in Harpenden this weekend
- Credit: Archant
Och aye, it’s that time of year when the sound of bagpipes can be heard drifting melodiously across Harpenden, with the return of the Lions’ annual Highland Gathering.
The event, in Rothamsted Park from 10am-5pm on July 12, is an enjoyable day out for all the family which raises thousands of pounds for charities.
This year’s Gathering features five pipe and drum bands, Highland dancing competitions and displays, solo piping and the traditional Highland Games heavy events including weight over the bar,‘tossing the caber and putting the stone.
Arena events include equestrian display Mane Attraction, and the ever-popular Dog and Duck Display and Hawksdrift Falconry.
Children’s attractions include a funfair, climbing wall and rugby and golf challenges organised by Harpenden Rugby Football Club Minis and Harpenden Common Golf Club. The popular Kids’ Circle for younger children offers opportunities to make sand art pictures and to use a potter’s wheel, face painting and electric go-karts.
You may also want to watch:
Major charities that will benefit from the event are The Bone Cancer Research Trust, Luton & Dunstable Hospital Dementia Care Project and the many local charities supported by Lions. Recent Gatherings have raised over £18,000 each year for good causes.
More information, including videos of previous Gatherings, is on www.harplions.com where you can also purchase entry programmes in advance at a reduced price at £4 each. Children under 16 are free when accompanied by an adult.
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 7 Our local wildlife needs your voice!
- 8 From supplying secret agents to headmaster's secretary, Patricia celebrates centenary
- 9 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 10 City centre pub opens new roof garden
Locations where reduced price entry programmes can be purchased in advance are: Harpenden - Harpenden Town Council, Park Hall, Leyton Road; News 4U, 1A Station Road; Savills, 2 Station Road; Topkins Pharmacy, 6 Station Road; WHSmith, 29 High Street; Redbourn - Redbourn Post Office, 73 High Street; Southdown - Hairline, 117 Southdown Road; Southdown Hardware, 132 Southdown Road; Stage Door, 2 Piggottshill Lane; St Albans - St Albans Tourist Information Centre, Town Hall, Market Place,