Schools get 20mph speed limit
THE SPEED limit on two busy local roads where schools are located is being slashed in an attempt to make the routes safer for children. Mandeville Drive and Watling View in St Albans will go from having a 30mph limit to 20mph zones as part of Herts Highwa
THE SPEED limit on two busy local roads where schools are located is being slashed in an attempt to make the routes safer for children.
Mandeville Drive and Watling View in St Albans will go from having a 30mph limit to 20mph zones as part of Herts Highways' Safer Routes to School scheme, which aims to cut congestion around schools.
The slower limit will benefit pupils travelling to Mandeville Primary and St Adrian's RC Primary and Nursery, and it's hoped that it will encourage parents to leave their cars at home and walk or cycle their children to school.
As part of the £110,000 scheme, traffic calming measures designed to slow vehicles have also been installed on both routes and footway improvements have been undertaken around Mande-ville.
You may also want to watch:
A pupil at Mandeville designed a logo included in the 20mph warning signs at either end of Mandeville Drive.
Herts Highways strategy development manager Andrew Freeman said: "Hopefully parents will be happier to encourage their children to walk or cycle back to school after the holiday as the roads become 20mph zones. The schools all worked with us on the scheme and were keen to see the speed limit reduced to improve road safety.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 7 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 8 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 Carillon Chamber Choir's farewell concert in St Albans