Schools get 20mph speed limit
THE SPEED limit on two busy local roads where schools are located is being slashed in an attempt to make the routes safer for children. Mandeville Drive and Watling View in St Albans will go from having a 30mph limit to 20mph zones as part of Herts Highwa
THE SPEED limit on two busy local roads where schools are located is being slashed in an attempt to make the routes safer for children.
Mandeville Drive and Watling View in St Albans will go from having a 30mph limit to 20mph zones as part of Herts Highways' Safer Routes to School scheme, which aims to cut congestion around schools.
The slower limit will benefit pupils travelling to Mandeville Primary and St Adrian's RC Primary and Nursery, and it's hoped that it will encourage parents to leave their cars at home and walk or cycle their children to school.
As part of the £110,000 scheme, traffic calming measures designed to slow vehicles have also been installed on both routes and footway improvements have been undertaken around Mande-ville.
A pupil at Mandeville designed a logo included in the 20mph warning signs at either end of Mandeville Drive.
Herts Highways strategy development manager Andrew Freeman said: "Hopefully parents will be happier to encourage their children to walk or cycle back to school after the holiday as the roads become 20mph zones. The schools all worked with us on the scheme and were keen to see the speed limit reduced to improve road safety.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 4 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 5 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 6 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 7 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 8 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 9 Caretakers of creation: church's work protecting environment
- 10 Area Guide: The busy Hertfordshire town of Hemel Hempstead