Save St Albans Pubs: Anne Main meets with Communities Secretary
- Credit: Archant
St Albans MP Anne Main has called on the government to “ensure the future of our historic British pubs” in the run-up to tomorrow’s Budget.
She met with Communities Secretary Sajid Javid to protest against the rise in business rates, which will increase by over 200 per cent for some city pubs.
She said: “I had a full and frank discussion with the Minister.
“Publicans in St Albans are occupying some of our oldest and dearest buildings, and if we want to ensure the future of our historic British pubs, the government must look carefully at the business rates re-evaluation.”
The Save St Albans Pubs campaign was started by St Albans publicans to protest against the rates increase with a petition to Parliament, which has received more than 3,800 signatures.
You may also want to watch:
The campaign has also received the support of St Albans district council, and Liberal Democrat leader Tim Farron.
Mrs Main said: “Whilst I’m pleased that the government has taken action to support businesses, the rate rise for some in St Albans is too much to swallow.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Green light given to new hospital project
- 5 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 6 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?
- 7 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 8 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 9 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 10 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
“Some pubs in St Albans occupy historic buildings and face particular challenges in maintaining their structure, which is not reflected in the way the rates are calculated.
“I do believe that the minister was in listening mode, and I pressed him robustly.
“Pubs are a vitally important aspect of British life, and it is vital that the government does all it can to ensure pubs are not priced out of our town centres.”
Visit petition.parliament.uk to view the Save St Albans Pubs petition.