Sandridge ready for 900th anniversary
- Credit: Archant
A ST Albans village is gearing up for a year of festivities to celebrate more than 900 years of history.
Sandridge residents, clubs, schools and businesses have been called upon to get involved in planning and organising events to highlight and celebrate the village’s changing face over the past nine centuries.
St Leonard’s parochial church council and Sandridge parish council are jointly sponsoring a programme of fixtures running from March to November in 2014 including a fireworks display, performances and parties.
Festivities will cover the entire ancient parish within the Wheathampstead, Ayot St Lawrence and Lemsford borders in the north, down to Sandpit Lane in the south, and from Simonshyde to Harpenden Road.
Sandridge is popular with visitors to St Albans district, including to the recently planted Heartwood Forest which has attracted television celebrities to the village.
You may also want to watch:
Chairman of the Sandridge 900+ steering committee Vivian Nutton said he welcomed help from villagers with the celebrations.
Many had already provided suggestions for events such as bake-offs, guided walks around Sandridge, concerts and treasure hunts.
- 1 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 2 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 3 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 4 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 5 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only
- 6 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 7 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 8 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 9 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 10 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
The committee is keen to hear from those who can offer assist with merchandise, securing sponsorship, exhibition and business skills.
Offers of help can be emailed to email@example.com