Sandridge ready for 900th anniversary
- Credit: Archant
A ST Albans village is gearing up for a year of festivities to celebrate more than 900 years of history.
Sandridge residents, clubs, schools and businesses have been called upon to get involved in planning and organising events to highlight and celebrate the village’s changing face over the past nine centuries.
St Leonard’s parochial church council and Sandridge parish council are jointly sponsoring a programme of fixtures running from March to November in 2014 including a fireworks display, performances and parties.
Festivities will cover the entire ancient parish within the Wheathampstead, Ayot St Lawrence and Lemsford borders in the north, down to Sandpit Lane in the south, and from Simonshyde to Harpenden Road.
Sandridge is popular with visitors to St Albans district, including to the recently planted Heartwood Forest which has attracted television celebrities to the village.
You may also want to watch:
Chairman of the Sandridge 900+ steering committee Vivian Nutton said he welcomed help from villagers with the celebrations.
Many had already provided suggestions for events such as bake-offs, guided walks around Sandridge, concerts and treasure hunts.
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 4 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 5 Brilliant Breakfast goes down a treat with the women of St Albans
- 6 St Albans City 'got away with it' says boss after snatching FA Cup replay at Corinthian Casuals
- 7 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 8 Mouth of the Tyne: St Albans City don't do lower league opposition but keep bringing them on
- 9 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 10 Look! Sneak peek inside Harpenden's new Eric Morecambe Centre
The committee is keen to hear from those who can offer assist with merchandise, securing sponsorship, exhibition and business skills.
Offers of help can be emailed to email@example.com