Sandridge pub backs St Albans Grove House hospice
MIKE Eames, the landlord and his many regulars at the Green Man pub in Sandridge know a thing or two about raising funds for good causes after raising �5,609 for Grove House in the past year alone.
In the past few years they have raised many thousands of pounds for the hospice through regular events such as concerts by local band The Slaves, the money raised by the sponsorship of the six ‘Lardy Lads’ in their efforts to lose weight, the entrance fees for the annual carrot growing competition and the family cycle ride, as well as quiz nights, Burns Night and golf days. The village pub is a fine example of community spirit at its best.
One annual fundraising event, which starts and finishes at the Green Man, is the family cycle ride, organised by Peter Willan and his good friend Pete Clackson.
Together with their families they take part in the 12-mile Father’s Day event to have fun and raise money for the hospice, and Peter’s daughters, Amelia and Bethany are always, willing participants.
Peter explained: “Grove House is a place close to our hearts as my late wife was a patient there. My girls and I do not know how we would have got to where we are today without the support we received at Grove House, both during my wife’s illness and since then. The cycle ride is a great way for the three of us to do something together for Grove House and we know that my wife would approve of us being out and about in the beautiful Hertfordshire countryside, regardless of the weather. Over 50 of us take part every year and we always ensure a good time is had by all.”
You may also want to watch:
As the cyclists return to the Green Man at the end of the ride there is always a warm welcome for them all, including a barbecue provided by Mike and his wife Lesley.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 8 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 9 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 10 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly