Salt Deliveries Expected by Herts County Council
SEVERAL salt deliveries are expected by Herts Highways this week to treat both pavements and roads. Deliveries of the salt/sand mix for treating pavements were due to begin yesterday (Monday) with further deliveries today and tomorrow. A delivery of salt
SEVERAL salt deliveries are expected by Herts Highways this week to treat both pavements and roads.
Deliveries of the salt/sand mix for treating pavements were due to begin yesterday (Monday) with further deliveries today and tomorrow.
A delivery of salt for use on the roads is due today and will be used on the county council's revised route of primary roads - all A and B roads plus those that provide access to essential emergency services - and should be sufficient to carry out salting runs on those roads for at least the rest of the week provided the weather forecast does not change.
Stuart Pile, executive member for highways and transport, said: "Temperatures look set to hover around freezing for the rest of the week so it's likely that roads and pavements, particularly those that haven't been cleared or salted, will be icy. Those that do clear may freeze again overnight."
You may also want to watch:
He went on: "With central government rationing salt for roads, we've made it a priority to secure other salt for our pavements. I'd also like to thank our district council colleagues and farmers who helped with salting and clearing at the weekend.
"Depending on how much of the salt/sand mix we can obtain, later in the week we will consider whether we are able to start restocking salt bins."
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 5 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 6 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 9 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 10 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
Full information about the winter service is on the county council's website www.hertsdirect.org/salting which gives information about which roads are gritted and when gritting runs take place.