Sainsbury’s St Albans pub garden store plan rejected
- Credit: Archant
Sainsbury’s contentious push to build a £2.5 million store on a historic pub’s garden in St Albans has been refused at an appeal.
The rejection, announced in a planning inspectorate decision released today (Thursday), will bring relief to local residents who had fought against the bid.
Scores of objections flooded in from residents after Sainsbury’s asked for permission to build a convenience store in the garden of Grade II listed Three Hammers Pub, Watford Road, Chiswell Green.
At a St Albans district council plans south meeting in March, George Old, representing the Chiswell Green Residents’ Association, warned that construction of the proposed store would result in the loss of the only green space in the village centre.
He added: “This is the heart of Chiswell Green. The convenience store, which has the appearance of a bunker, will be a complete contrast and out of keeping with this ancient pub.”
You may also want to watch:
In her decision, planning inspector Hilda Higenbottam said planning permission was refused because store customers would park close to the boundaries of two neighbouring homes, which would have a negative impact upon residents’ living conditions.
She said: “The close proximity of the parking and the extended period when both the public house and convenience store would be open ... would result in significant noise and disturbance to the occupiers of these properties, particularly in the summer months when they would be likely to use their gardens more frequently.”
- 1 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 St Albans Chamber's Not St George's Day event is a smash success
- 4 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 5 Fly-tipped rubbish near Heartwood Forest set to be cleared
- 6 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 7 Harpenden Christmas Carnival returns for 2021
- 8 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 9 St Albans named among Britain's best places for first-time buyer discounts
- 10 Apply for free tickets to be in the audience of The Masked Singer UK in Hertfordshire