Sailor's inspiration for St Albans school
A TEENAGE record breaker who sailed around the world this summer sought to inspire his peers during a trip to a St Albans secondary school. 17-year-old Mike Perham, who rose to fame in August when he became the youngest person to sail solo around the worl
A TEENAGE record breaker who sailed around the world this summer sought to inspire his peers during a trip to a St Albans secondary school.
17-year-old Mike Perham, who rose to fame in August when he became the youngest person to sail solo around the world, encouraged pupils at St Albans High School for Girls to chase their dreams when he visited the school recently.
Mike, a student at Oaklands College in St Albans, is an ambassador for international payments specialists VocaLink, who are leading a programme called Live the Dream to try and inspire school pupils to achieve their own ambitions.
As well as hearing Mike speak about his experience at sea, the audience also watched a 20-minute film of Mike's epic nine-month sea voyage and participated in interactive mentoring with the teenage world-record holder.
You may also want to watch:
Deputy head teacher Jean Ross said that Mike proved to be a very popular guest and added: "We were absolutely delighted to welcome Mike to the school and to give the girls the opportunity to hear all about his courage and capacity for adventure.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 2 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 3 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 4 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 5 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 6 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 7 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 8 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 9 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 10 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans