Runners on their marks
HUNDREDS of runners are preparing for this year s Wheathampstead 10K which is organised by and benefits a school in the village. The event starts at 11am on Sunday, May 18, and is expected to attract a record 800 entrants this year. It is preceded by a fu
HUNDREDS of runners are preparing for this year's Wheathampstead 10K which is organised by and benefits a school in the village.
The event starts at 11am on Sunday, May 18, and is expected to attract a record 800 entrants this year. It is preceded by a fun run for the under-12s and parents.
All the events are organised by a team of parents from Beech Hyde School and the proceeds have enhanced facilities for local children there for many years. Thousands of pounds have been raised and this year's proceeds will be used to renovate the school library and create a new learning area.
Runners and children who raise sponsorship will be put in a prize draw where they will have a chance to win more than 90 prizes.
You may also want to watch:
The course starts close to the Marford Road Playing fields and then takes runners out to the west using the disused Welwyn to Luton railway line before branching off into the countryside and looping back to the village.
Parents of children at the school have created a fun day around the 10K to complement the proceedings with amusement for youngsters and home-made cakes for sale.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 2 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 3 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 4 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 5 Shortages crisis hits district
- 6 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 7 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 8 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
- 9 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
- 10 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
Local businesses have also become involved in sponsoring the run. GHM Consultancy, the largest employer in the village, has become the main sponsor, underwriting a large part of the costs while running shop Aro Sports has also added funding.
To enter log on to www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/ or download an application form from www.wheathampstead.net