Royal recognition for volunteers
WORK in supporting the homeless and socially deprived through its drop-in centre has won a St Albans charity a Queen s Award for Voluntary Service. Centre 33 is one of 79 volunteering groups from across the UK to win the award which recognises the outstan
WORK in supporting the homeless and socially deprived through its drop-in centre has won a St Albans charity a Queen's Award for Voluntary Service.
Centre 33 is one of 79 volunteering groups from across the UK to win the award which recognises the outstanding contributions made to local communities by groups voluntarily devoting their time for the benefit of others.
It sets the national benchmark for excellence in volunteering and the 2008 award winners were selected from nearly 380 groups nominated by the public.
Centre 33 will be presented with an exclusive crystal trophy marking its success at a special ceremony hosted by the Lord Lieutenant of Herts.
You may also want to watch:
Peter Graham, chairman of Centre 33, said: "Centre 33 is greatly honoured to receive the Queen's Award for Voluntary Service. It is a clear recognition of all the support and help that Centre 33 provides for a very vulnerable part of the St Albans community and also of the dedication of all our volunteers and of the quality of service provided.
"It is also a tribute to all those who over the years have guided Centre 33 through various challenges and who have put in so much effort to making it a success.
- 1 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 2 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 3 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 4 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 5 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 6 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 7 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
- 8 New vicar comes to Harpenden church
- 9 Olympian Max Whitlock opens new Harpenden leisure centre
- 10 Vote for your favourite restaurant in Chamber of Commerce poll