Row over St Albans supermarket opening hours extension
- Credit: Archant
Objections have been lodged against a supermarket’s bid to extend its opening hours in St Albans, because of its proximity to homes.
Morrisons supermarket, Hatfield Road, Fleetville, has applied to St Albans district council for approval to open its doors from 7am until 11pm Monday to Saturday, and 10am until 5pm on Sundays.
It currently trades from 8am until 10pm Monday to Saturday, and from 10am until 4pm on Sundays.
Objections have been raised in relation to concerns about increased noise from the movement of trolleys and increased traffic, as well as the impact of additional lighting at “unsocial hours”.
One woman pointed out: “This is an area in which children and families will need to be asleep [before midnight], ready for school and work.”
An annoyed resident has told the Herts Advertiser: “There is also the impact on the other smaller retailers in the Fleetville area to consider, and the loss to these businesses and the diversity of the area if Morrisons is allowed to dominate the retail and eating experience even further.”
The supermarket wants to extend its hours as the store is “trading well” and it wants to meet consumer demand.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 From St Albans to the Australian outback for The Tourist's Shalom Brune-Franklin in BBC One series
- 4 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 5 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 6 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 7 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 8 Ian Allinson praises 'unbelievable shift' of St Albans City players against Maidstone
- 9 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 10 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
The council is considering the scheme.