Row over St Albans supermarket opening hours extension
- Credit: Archant
Objections have been lodged against a supermarket’s bid to extend its opening hours in St Albans, because of its proximity to homes.
Morrisons supermarket, Hatfield Road, Fleetville, has applied to St Albans district council for approval to open its doors from 7am until 11pm Monday to Saturday, and 10am until 5pm on Sundays.
It currently trades from 8am until 10pm Monday to Saturday, and from 10am until 4pm on Sundays.
Objections have been raised in relation to concerns about increased noise from the movement of trolleys and increased traffic, as well as the impact of additional lighting at “unsocial hours”.
One woman pointed out: “This is an area in which children and families will need to be asleep [before midnight], ready for school and work.”
You may also want to watch:
An annoyed resident has told the Herts Advertiser: “There is also the impact on the other smaller retailers in the Fleetville area to consider, and the loss to these businesses and the diversity of the area if Morrisons is allowed to dominate the retail and eating experience even further.”
The supermarket wants to extend its hours as the store is “trading well” and it wants to meet consumer demand.
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 St Albans Band Aid raises £2,200 for local charities
- 3 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 4 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 5 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 6 Historic England asks: 'What do you love about your local high street?'
- 7 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 8 Mission success for Three Peaks Challenge team
- 9 Honey to the bee - hiving off new flavours for local gin
- 10 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
The council is considering the scheme.