Rough sleepers may have started house fire

PUBLISHED: 12:46 16 January 2009 | UPDATED: 13:51 06 May 2010

ROUGH sleepers may have started a fire in a derelict building in St Albans city centre on Wednesday evening. Firefighters were called to Catherine Street at around 9.15pm to find large amounts of smoke coming from a house near the junction with Etna Road.

ROUGH sleepers may have started a fire in a derelict building in St Albans city centre on Wednesday evening.

Firefighters were called to Catherine Street at around 9.15pm to find large amounts of smoke coming from a house near the junction with Etna Road.

The crew from St Albans were initially investigating the possibility that the fire had been started by two homeless people who had built a fire in the fireplace of the property in order to keep warm. There were concerns that the blaze would spread but it was put out within half-an-hour.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Herts Advertiser. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Herts Advertiser