Rothamsted say weather was a month of two halves
FEBRUARY was a month of two halves when it came to the local weather. The first two weeks had heavy snow and freezing temperatures while the second half was warmer and relatively dry. Figures from Rothamsted Research in Harpenden show that the month was w
FEBRUARY was a month of two halves when it came to the local weather.
The first two weeks had heavy snow and freezing temperatures while the second half was warmer and relatively dry.
Figures from Rothamsted Research in Harpenden show that the month was wetter than usual but as the gauges don't measure snow, this was classed as "precipation" with the majority falling as sleet and snow.
The snow covered large areas from February 2 and because of repeated falls and freezing temperatures, it remained for an unusually long time for the local area. The snow then gradually dissolved over about three days and was mostly cleared by the middle of the month.
You may also want to watch:
Temperatures were well below average for the first two weeks but rose above average for the second half giving a typical overall February temperature.
Rainfall at 74mm was also well above average though most of this fell as snow and sleet between February 2 and 15. The most recorded was 39.6mm on Monday, February 9, but this was due mainly to snow melt.
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 6 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 7 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 10 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
Sunshine was spread fairly evenly across the month and was above average with 85 hours. There were five days without any sun, but February 21 topped the sunshine league with 8.6 hours.
The lowest temperature was -6.8C on Tuesday, February 3, and the highest was 12.8C on Friday, February 27. There were 13 air frosts and 17 ground frosts.