Redundancies at famous Harpenden science lab
- Credit: Archant
An undisclosed number of people are being made redundant at a famous Harpenden research lab.
Rothamsted Research has confirmed it will be making employees redundant but has not released any further details.
A spokesperson said: “Rothamsted Research is making normal and small internal adjustments that take place often in organisations and companies as they evolve.
“This is a necessary process to help to ensure that our research focus stays sharp, that we keep costs in line with our long-term financial goals and that we can continue to carry out the world-class research for which Rothamsted is renowned.”
St Albans district council (SADC) recently rejected an 1,000 home development site put forward by Rothamsted for the city’s Local Plan.
In a statement at the time of the proposal, director and chief executive of Rothamsted Achim Dobermann said income from the development would help to secure the lab’s future.
He said: “Pressures on funding and research grants continue. We need to consider all options to safeguard the continued sustainability and success of Rothamsted Research.”
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 4 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 5 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 6 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 7 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 8 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 9 Caretakers of creation: church's work protecting environment
- 10 Author's new book explores mental health during the pandemic
Have you been made redundant from a post at Rothamsted Research? Contact us at HertsAd@Archant.co.uk