Sustainable St Albans Week to kick start with series of talks
- Credit: Archant
A series of talks will kick start Sustainable St Albans Week this year.
Rothamsted Research is hosting the first event of the environmentally-minded week, with speakers talking about a range of topics including Knowledge is Power, Plastic Fishing Only, Growing your Home, and Low Carbon Woman.
A local resident and BBC sustainability employee, Suzanne Dolan, is planning on speaking about lowering the carbon footprint, and a Rothamsted Research PhD student, Darja Dobermann, is examining the potential to nutritiously eat insects.
Darja said: “It is always exciting to me to see a community take local action on a global issue, especially with something that can feel as big or overwhelming as sustainability.
“I am thrilled to be a part of it and looking forward to getting some minds buzzing about the potential role of insects in our food systems in the future.”
You may also want to watch:
Head of Sustainable Finance at S&P Global Ratings, Michael Wilkins, who will be talking everything money, said: “It will take green money to make the world go round more sustainably.”
Talks are interspersed with performances from the Ver Poets and will conclude with a reception where the audience can mingle with the speakers.
- 1 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 2 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 3 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 4 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 5 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 6 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 7 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 8 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 9 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans
- 10 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
Lead event organiser, Lesley Flowers, said: “The mixture of live inspirational speakers, art and poetry will combine to spark deep discussion and connections for the audience.
“We are delighted with the calibre of speakers and I believe attendees are in for a treat.”
The launch event is on April 21 from 1.30pm to 8.30pm. Tickets are £15 from ourplanet2018.eventbrite.co.uk/Sustainable St Albans Week runs from April 21 to 29.
For more information, visit www.sustainablestalbans.org