Rock giants Metallica to headline Knebworth summer festival
ROCK giants Metallica and titans Linkin Park have been confirmed as the headline acts for a massive new music festival to be held at Knebworth this summer. Sonisphere will take place at the stately home near Stevenage over the weekend of August 1 and Aug
ROCK giants Metallica and titans Linkin Park have been confirmed as the headline acts for a massive new music festival to be held at Knebworth this summer.
Sonisphere will take place at the stately home near Stevenage over the weekend of August 1 and August 2 with the option of camping out.
The festival, which is also set to see American heavy metal rockers Lamb of God and Mastodon take to the stage, is expected to be able to accommodate 60,000 fans.
Knebworth House has a history of holding successful concerts over the last 40 years. Among the many rock luminaries to have performed at the venue are Oasis, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Queen and Pink Floyd.
You may also want to watch:
Robbie Williams was the last big name act to play Knebworth, selling out three nights in 2003.
Martha Lytton Cobbold, managing director at Knebworth House, said: "We are thrilled to be hosting the Sonisphere festival and bringing more classic rock to Knebworth Park.
- 1 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 4 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 5 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 6 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 7 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 8 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 9 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 10 SustFest hosting Open Food Gardens event across district
"Knebworth is synonymous with music and we are looking forward to welcoming the fans and having such a fantastic event in the region. We hope it's the beginning of an annual event."
Bands will perform on two alternate stages, with Linkin Park headlining on August 1 and Metallica headlining on August 2.
Other attractions will include stalls, a fun fair, jugglers and fire eaters.
The Knebworth festival will end Sonisphere's European tour.
Metallica's Lars Ulrich said: "We're stoked to be touring England and the rest of Europe. Summer festivals in Europe are what Metallica do best. We can't wait to see all our fans."
The full festival line-up is due to be announced in the next few weeks.
Tickets for the event went on sale on Wednesday (February 11).
For more information and to buy tickets, visit www.sonispherefestivals.com