Rock band hopes for Olympic glory
A St Albans-based musician is competing to play in front of millions at an Olympic Games ceremony as part of London-based rock band Freerun. The band has made it to the final stages of ITV's Olympic Talent Search with the song London Time
A St Albans-based musician is competing to play in front of millions at an Olympic Games ceremony as part of London-based rock band Freerun.
The band has made it to the final stages of ITV's Olympic Talent Search with the song London Time.
The four members of the band are now counting on the public to vote for them online to play at the London - Beijing Olympic flag handover ceremony at Trafalgar Square in London, on August 24.
Freerun bassist and Ex-Verulam School pupil Mike Wall, aged 27, who lives near his old school, said the band had only been together for 18 months and were still unsigned.
But already they have chalked up success with their entry for the talent show recorded by ITV last Sunday.
At the recording they were asked to play later that day at the London O2 arena during the televised Olympic Torch relay after the Sugarbabes had pulled out. This meant performing in front of torch bearers, Olympic athletes, VIPs and a 5,000-strong live audience,
- 1 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 2 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 3 Building company resurfaces bridleway to provide safe route for riders and walkers
- 4 St Albans shop showcasing small independents by renting out shelves
- 5 See inside this loft style apartment in a former hat factory
- 6 Foodies queue to try street food sourced, cooked and served in Herts
- 7 Train timetable shakeup due in St Albans and Watford from May 15
- 8 MoonWalk success for the St Albans cancer survivor and her Belgian Buns
- 10 Woman found in canal near M25 in Hertfordshire
Mike said: "We are very excited to be in the final. We have worked extremely hard to come this far, juggling our day jobs, and it shows the more you put in the more you get out.
"We want to put St Albans on the map globally," he added, "and if people vote for us to play in front of millions of viewers - we can do just that."
Music runs in the Wall family as Mike's 22-year-old sister Liana is a singer, and has been signed by New Jersey label ACM Records which has released her first single Get a Little Closer.
To hear London Time go to http://www.itvlocalvideofactory.com/Clip.aspx?key=9B83B17C396156BB
And to vote for the band to play at the Olympic ceremony go to http://www.itvlocal.com/london/2012vote/
Freerun are comprised of; Jezz on vocals, Mike on bass, Ross on drums and Kempo who plays guitar.
Mike plays bass in the song London Time but also plays keys and sings vocals. He is also one of two song writers.