Road blocked as high winds uproot tree
A TREE which came down in this morning s storms blocked the lane which runs outside the largest hotel in St Albans. The tree fell across Cottonmill Lane outside Sopwell House Hotel after being uprooted in strong winds at around 7am. A taxi became stuck on
A TREE which came down in this morning's storms blocked the lane which runs outside the largest hotel in St Albans.
The tree fell across Cottonmill Lane outside Sopwell House Hotel after being uprooted in strong winds at around 7am.
A taxi became stuck on the green outside the hotel when the driver attempted to cut across the grass to go round the tree.
Police closed the road from both approaches at around 8.15am following reports that vehicles were reversing back on to the roundabout at the junction with Mile House Lane.
You may also want to watch:
* FIRST Capital Connect train services into and out of London have been affected by today's high winds and heavy rain.
Half the normal number of fast trains are running between Bedford and Brighton on the Thameslink line after speed restrictions were imposed following severe weather warnings.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 3 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 4 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 5 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 6 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
But the remainder of services are running close to normal and West Hampstead Station has reopened after being closed because of high wind damage.