Road blocked as high winds uproot tree
A TREE which came down in this morning s storms blocked the lane which runs outside the largest hotel in St Albans. The tree fell across Cottonmill Lane outside Sopwell House Hotel after being uprooted in strong winds at around 7am. A taxi became stuck on
A TREE which came down in this morning's storms blocked the lane which runs outside the largest hotel in St Albans.
The tree fell across Cottonmill Lane outside Sopwell House Hotel after being uprooted in strong winds at around 7am.
A taxi became stuck on the green outside the hotel when the driver attempted to cut across the grass to go round the tree.
Police closed the road from both approaches at around 8.15am following reports that vehicles were reversing back on to the roundabout at the junction with Mile House Lane.
* FIRST Capital Connect train services into and out of London have been affected by today's high winds and heavy rain.
Half the normal number of fast trains are running between Bedford and Brighton on the Thameslink line after speed restrictions were imposed following severe weather warnings.
- 1 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 2 Fire broke out at flats above row of shops in How Wood
- 3 From Levi's to Leyton Road: Superstar fashionista for over 50s back on shop floor
- 4 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 5 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 6 Stalking Protection Order issued to Herts man after obsessive behaviour towards ex
- 7 Building company resurfaces bridleway to provide safe route for riders and walkers
- 8 How the extent of cost of living crisis hit home at St Albans' CEX store
- 9 Hertfordshire grandad who died in A6 Bugatti crash had a 'generous spirit'
- 10 Huge Victorian house with pool and gym on sale for £1.75m
But the remainder of services are running close to normal and West Hampstead Station has reopened after being closed because of high wind damage.