Road blocked as high winds uproot tree
A TREE which came down in this morning s storms blocked the lane which runs outside the largest hotel in St Albans. The tree fell across Cottonmill Lane outside Sopwell House Hotel after being uprooted in strong winds at around 7am. A taxi became stuck on
A TREE which came down in this morning's storms blocked the lane which runs outside the largest hotel in St Albans.
The tree fell across Cottonmill Lane outside Sopwell House Hotel after being uprooted in strong winds at around 7am.
A taxi became stuck on the green outside the hotel when the driver attempted to cut across the grass to go round the tree.
Police closed the road from both approaches at around 8.15am following reports that vehicles were reversing back on to the roundabout at the junction with Mile House Lane.
You may also want to watch:
* FIRST Capital Connect train services into and out of London have been affected by today's high winds and heavy rain.
Half the normal number of fast trains are running between Bedford and Brighton on the Thameslink line after speed restrictions were imposed following severe weather warnings.
- 1 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 2 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 3 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 4 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 5 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 6 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 7 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 8 Harpenden constituency to go under proposed boundary changes
- 9 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival
- 10 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
But the remainder of services are running close to normal and West Hampstead Station has reopened after being closed because of high wind damage.