Riot on Vesta Avenue, St Albans, causes smashed windows to fast-food restaurant
- Credit: Archant
A 30-man riot broke out on Vesta Avenue last night (27) resulting in a fast-food restaurant having its windows and frontage heavily damaged.
Tasty’s Chicken & Pizza was the site of an altercation which began at around 7pm, with one neighbour reporting that a gang of youths kicked through the shop’s windows and threw a television over the counter.
The neighbour, who declined to be named, said: “There was a lot of noise – they were just a gang of teenagers. I couldn’t tell how old they were because they all had hoodies on, but they all looked quite youngish.
“Later on the chicken shop got their protection group in, and were standing arm-in-arm outside the shop for a couple of hours. The police were threatening people with arrests to make them go away.”
Another resident, who also asked not to be named, speculated that the riot was related to the fatal stabbing of 20-year-old Emill Stapleton on London Road last week.
You may also want to watch:
Herts constabulary confirmed that they had attended the incident, in which 30 people were involved, but added that nobody was arrested.
A police investigation is ongoing.
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 4 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 5 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 6 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 7 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 8 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 9 Olympic legend Denise Lewis unveils inspirational mural in St Albans
- 10 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden