Ring road to reopen early to ease traffic jams
TRAFFIC delays caused by the closure of part of St Albans busy ring road are set to ease for the start of the new school term on Monday. Batchwood Drive has been closed on and off for weeks for the road to be resurfaced and this has resulted in traffic be
TRAFFIC delays caused by the closure of part of St Albans busy ring road are set to ease for the start of the new school term on Monday.
Batchwood Drive has been closed on and off for weeks for the road to be resurfaced and this has resulted in traffic being diverted through the city centre with long jams.
The road, which provides access to two schools, was first shut at the beginning of March for two weeks but work was cut short when the equipment was needed for a project in Watford delayed due to bad weather.
Although Herts Highways initially said they could not complete the work on Batchwood Drive in the school holidays, work recommenced on Monday, March 31, with a week still remaining of the school Easter break. But the information notices said it would take another two weeks to complete.
However a spokesperson for Herts Highways said that the final part of the work, the resurfacing of the Waverly Road roundabout, would be completed today (Friday) so the road could reopen tomorrow (Saturday).
Though this last stage was due to be completed on Sunday, the work was brought forward due to the forecast of bad weather over the weekend.
- 1 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 2 Fire broke out at flats above row of shops in How Wood
- 3 From Levi's to Leyton Road: Superstar fashionista for over 50s back on shop floor
- 4 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 5 Building company resurfaces bridleway to provide safe route for riders and walkers
- 6 Stalking Protection Order issued to Herts man after obsessive behaviour towards ex
- 7 Tough mother Jenny giving back to Bone Cancer Research
- 8 St Albans shop showcasing small independents by renting out shelves
- 9 Six Bells shock Skew Bridge to lift Herts Ad Knockout Cup
- 10 St Albans SustFest kicks off in style
An anti-skid surface still needs to be laid on parts of the road but this will be done in a few weeks time and will be completed in a day.