Retirement home kitchen fire

PUBLISHED: 18:17 11 April 2008 | UPDATED: 13:12 06 May 2010

FIREFIGHTERS were called to a kitchen fire in a retirement home yesterday evening (Thursday). The crews from St Albans arrived at Wavell House in Cell Barnes Lane just before 6pm where they found a blaze in one of the flats. It started when the elderly r

FIREFIGHTERS were called to a kitchen fire in a retirement home yesterday evening (Thursday).

The crews from St Albans arrived at Wavell House in Cell Barnes Lane just before 6pm where they found a blaze in one of the flats.

It started when the elderly resident overcooked some food in her microwave.

Although she acted correctly and switched off all of the power, she didn't evacuate the flat and had to be treated for smoke inhalation.

Firefighters put out the fire and used ventilation equipment to rid the flat of smoke.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Herts Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Herts Advertiser