Renovation for St Albans war memorial
- Credit: Archant
Worn-out names of First World War soldiers on a Grade II listed war memorial are set to be restored in the next stage of ongoing renovation work in St Albans.
The paving area surrounding the monument in St Peter’s Street will also be extended at the request of the Royal British Legion to allow for the raising of the standard at the upcoming Remembrance Day celebrations.
If extended this could also accommodate a commemorative stone in memory of Private Edward Warner, a recipient of the Victoria Cross, who was born in St Albans. There are also plans to clean and repoint memorial plaques in High Street and Verulam Road in time for the centenary.
Last year St Albans district council began the process of repairing war memorials and re-engraved names of soldiers who died in World War II on the stone panels at the base of the St Peter’s Street memorial.
Richard Shwe, head of community services at the council, said: “We undertook various works to local war memorials last year with the involvement of the Royal British Legion. The city neighbourhoods committee has now given the go ahead for more renovation and repair works to be done.
You may also want to watch:
“Further work will be done to the war memorial in St Peter’s Street and memorial plaques in High Street and Verulam Road will be cleaned and re-pointed.
“We will also be laying a special paving stone in memory of Private Edward Warner who was posthumously awarded the Victoria Cross for gallantry.”
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 5 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 6 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 7 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 8 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 9 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 10 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?