Redbourn woman celebrates 100th birthday
- Credit: Archant
Tucking into a slice of chocolate cake and sipping on a glass of sherry is how a well-known Redbourn resident celebrated her 100th birthday this week.
Joan Parry, who lives at St Matthew’s Care Home, was joined by dozens of close friends and family on Monday who came to share her milestone moment.
The centenarian has worked in catering for much of her life, serving in the RAF and later taking up the position of catering manager at Hemel Hempstead Hospital.
She has lived in Redbourn for more than 35 years where she has been heavily involved in a number of community activities including volunteering as a Meals on Wheels driver until well into her 80s.
Dionne McMurray, lifestyle and activities facilitator at St Matthew’s, said staff helped to thoroughly spoil Joan on Monday by throwing her a special birthday party.
You may also want to watch:
She added: “She has done an awful lot for the community when she was younger and that was proved by the amount of people who turned out for her.
“It was really truly amazing.”
- 1 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest
- 4 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 5 Parents condemn Oaklands' decision to close nursery as a 'travesty'
- 6 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 7 London Colney in 'a good place' as they look for a season of redemption
- 8 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 9 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 10 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire