Redbourn woman celebrates 100th birthday
- Credit: Archant
Tucking into a slice of chocolate cake and sipping on a glass of sherry is how a well-known Redbourn resident celebrated her 100th birthday this week.
Joan Parry, who lives at St Matthew’s Care Home, was joined by dozens of close friends and family on Monday who came to share her milestone moment.
The centenarian has worked in catering for much of her life, serving in the RAF and later taking up the position of catering manager at Hemel Hempstead Hospital.
She has lived in Redbourn for more than 35 years where she has been heavily involved in a number of community activities including volunteering as a Meals on Wheels driver until well into her 80s.
Dionne McMurray, lifestyle and activities facilitator at St Matthew’s, said staff helped to thoroughly spoil Joan on Monday by throwing her a special birthday party.
You may also want to watch:
She added: “She has done an awful lot for the community when she was younger and that was proved by the amount of people who turned out for her.
“It was really truly amazing.”
- 1 Can you help after man left unconscious outside St Albans pub?
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 Birthday charity walks in brother's memory
- 4 Market trader says goodbye to beard after 15 years
- 5 Light at the end of the gulley for long-running flooding
- 6 Driver hospitalised after three-vehicle accident on M1 near Redbourn
- 7 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 8 Fashionistas flock to Cathedral catwalk extravaganza
- 9 St Albans named among UK's most family-friendly cities
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?