Redbourn scoops best-kept village award
A SUMMER-long series of events to celebrate its 900th anniversary received an unplanned boost on Saturday when Redbourn received its award as a village of the year.
It won the Hertfordshire Village of the Year (West) Award and among the guests at the presentation were the Mayor of St Albans, Cllr Maxine Crawley, who lives in Redbourn, and Hitchin and Harpenden MP Peter Lilley.
The Mayor, who also represents the village and Wheathampstead on the county council, described it as, “a wonderful morning” and said it felt as though half of the village had turned out for the occasion.
She went on: “There were representatives from the parish, district and county councils, from the many groups and organisations that make up our warm community and lots of residents had come to celebrate too.”
Co-organiser David Mitchell made a speech in the absence of main organiser Elaine Warren who was on holiday and the Mayor also thanked parish clerk Diane Whiskin, her assistant Pauline and the chair of the parish council, Vivienne Windle.
You may also want to watch:
She added: “I feel an enormous sense of pride in Redbourn which isn’t just a beautiful place to live but has people and its community at its heart. I’m honoured to be the first Mayor of St Albans to live in Redbourn for 25 years during this landmark year as Redbourn 900 celebrates our history and community. Winning Village of the Year West couldn’t be more timely.”
Mr Lilley pointed out that competition for the award was always very strong so it said a lot about the people of Redbourn that they had received it for the second time in five years.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 5 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 6 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 7 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 8 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 9 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
He added: “The award is even more special because the village is celebrating its 900th anniversary this year with a summer-long series of events. I congratulate everyone who contributed to this timely and impressive achievement which has involved a huge number of villagers.”