Redbourn scoops best-kept village award
A SUMMER-long series of events to celebrate its 900th anniversary received an unplanned boost on Saturday when Redbourn received its award as a village of the year.
It won the Hertfordshire Village of the Year (West) Award and among the guests at the presentation were the Mayor of St Albans, Cllr Maxine Crawley, who lives in Redbourn, and Hitchin and Harpenden MP Peter Lilley.
The Mayor, who also represents the village and Wheathampstead on the county council, described it as, “a wonderful morning” and said it felt as though half of the village had turned out for the occasion.
She went on: “There were representatives from the parish, district and county councils, from the many groups and organisations that make up our warm community and lots of residents had come to celebrate too.”
Co-organiser David Mitchell made a speech in the absence of main organiser Elaine Warren who was on holiday and the Mayor also thanked parish clerk Diane Whiskin, her assistant Pauline and the chair of the parish council, Vivienne Windle.
You may also want to watch:
She added: “I feel an enormous sense of pride in Redbourn which isn’t just a beautiful place to live but has people and its community at its heart. I’m honoured to be the first Mayor of St Albans to live in Redbourn for 25 years during this landmark year as Redbourn 900 celebrates our history and community. Winning Village of the Year West couldn’t be more timely.”
Mr Lilley pointed out that competition for the award was always very strong so it said a lot about the people of Redbourn that they had received it for the second time in five years.
- 1 Can you help after man left unconscious outside St Albans pub?
- 2 Lease up for grabs on vacant Batchwood Hall building
- 3 Birthday charity walks in brother's memory
- 4 Driver hospitalised after three-vehicle accident on M1 near Redbourn
- 5 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 Light at the end of the gulley for long-running flooding
- 8 Market trader says goodbye to beard after 15 years
- 9 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 10 Shaun Jeffers and St Albans City a match made in Hertfordshire
He added: “The award is even more special because the village is celebrating its 900th anniversary this year with a summer-long series of events. I congratulate everyone who contributed to this timely and impressive achievement which has involved a huge number of villagers.”