Redbourn man arrested after pensioner dies following golf club assault

West Herts Golf Club

West Herts Golf Club - Credit: Archant

The death of a pensioner three days after he collapsed with head injuries following an assault at a golf club car park has resulted in the arrest of a Redbourn man.

A spokesman for the Herts Police said investigations were continuing after a 65-year-old man died in hospital surrounded by members of his family on Tuesday (27) morning.

Police were called to West Herts Golf Club in Cassiobury Park, Rickmansworth, at 10.50pm on Saturday, following concern for the welfare of a man found in the car park.

The spokesman added that six officers rushed to the scene after being called to the club by the East of England Ambulance Service Trust (EEAST).

It is understood that the man had collapsed following an alleged altercation in the car park.

The police have not released the name of the dead man or any further details, but his death has been referred to the Coroner.

In a joint statement, West Herts Golf Club chairman David Shelley and club captain Martyn Ives expressed their sympathy to the family of the dead man, “for their very sad and untimely loss”.

Most Read

They said that a club member had booked a wedding reception at the venue, which was scheduled to end at midnight.

But before 11pm, a car with four men pulled into the car park and one of the group was assaulted and seriously injured.

The victim had been a member of the club between 1999 and 2009.

David and Martyn said that after being alerted to the “disturbing incident”, bar staff acted promptly, alerting paramedics.

They stressed that no members of the club were involved in the incident and while the venue had been booked by a member, the wedding was not an official club function.

The two men urged anyone with information on the assault to contact the police.

They also extended sympathies to families hosting and guests attending the wedding reception that night, “for the way in which a very special day for them came to such a tragic end”.

A spokesman for the ambulance service said that crews treated the man who was found suffering head injuries, and had collapsed in the car park.

He was taken to St Mary’s Hospital in Paddington in a critical condition where he later died.

A 51-year-old man from Redbourn has been arrested on suspicion of assault occasioning grievous bodily harm. He has been bailed until August 17.