Redbourn goes conkers bonkers with championship
- Credit: Archant
There’s nothing quite like a Conkerthon to get you into the autumn spirit.
Community group Active In Redbourn (AIR) organised an inaugural conker championship to determine who would be the village's reigning champion.
With over 200 people in attendance and 40 participants, it was presided over by nationally renowned Conker King David Jakins.
Organiser Chris Emmell explained how it came about: "It was all put together in a bit of a rush. I was having a beer with a mate and we came up with the idea."
After some research Chris drew up a plan to present to the parish council for approval: "The whole event was put together in less than five weeks. With some professional help from the Conker King, it all went smoothly".
You may also want to watch:
The overall champion was Adele Irwin, who was presented with a special trophy by the King himself.
Runner-up Steve Mackie said: "It was really great fun and we all said we look forward to having it again next year. What's more, it's very eco-friendly and draws attention to the plight of our horse chestnut trees."
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 8 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 9 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 10 St Albans City over bad start says Chris Winton as improved results and performances continue against Havant