Redbourn golfer shoots a record-breaking score at 84
WHENEVER veteran golfer Wally Jennings starts to feel his age, all he needs to do is remember the time that he shot a score below his four score years and four.
For Wally has achieved the remarkable feat of shooting a round of 81 at the grand old age of 84.
As a senior member of Redbourn Golf Club he has clocked up a score which is the envy all senior golfers, most of whom would be happy to shoot a score their age, never mind three shots under it.
Wally, who plays off a handicap of 20, said of his 81 score: “It was my lowest round eve; my driving and putting were both superb and everything I hit on the greens seemed to be sucked into the hole.”
After his achievement Wally joked: “I think the handicap committee may have something to say now though. I expect to lose a couple of shots from my handicap.”
You may also want to watch:
Wally joined the club in 1983 and soon after formed a group called The Wallys, which he described as, “a great syndicate providing a lot of fun over the years”.
The group play friendly competitions twice a week and is still going strong today, although Wally himself is less involved with the organisation.
- 1 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 2 Shortages crisis hits district
- 3 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 4 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
- 5 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 6 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
- 7 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 8 Neighbouring councils reject Bowmans Cross development
- 9 St Albans school adopts new wellbeing app
- 10 St Albans activist joins protest blocking M25
But he still plays at the club up to three times a week, travelling over 20 miles from his home in Pinner.
As a reward for his recent victory Redbourn general manager Tristan Hall presented him with a bottle of champagne and said: “It’s a marvellous achievement for a senior golfer to shoot below their age and we are extremely pleased Wally has managed to achieve that feat with such a brilliant round of golf.”