Redbourn golfer shoots a record-breaking score at 84
WHENEVER veteran golfer Wally Jennings starts to feel his age, all he needs to do is remember the time that he shot a score below his four score years and four.
For Wally has achieved the remarkable feat of shooting a round of 81 at the grand old age of 84.
As a senior member of Redbourn Golf Club he has clocked up a score which is the envy all senior golfers, most of whom would be happy to shoot a score their age, never mind three shots under it.
Wally, who plays off a handicap of 20, said of his 81 score: “It was my lowest round eve; my driving and putting were both superb and everything I hit on the greens seemed to be sucked into the hole.”
After his achievement Wally joked: “I think the handicap committee may have something to say now though. I expect to lose a couple of shots from my handicap.”
You may also want to watch:
Wally joined the club in 1983 and soon after formed a group called The Wallys, which he described as, “a great syndicate providing a lot of fun over the years”.
The group play friendly competitions twice a week and is still going strong today, although Wally himself is less involved with the organisation.
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 4 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 5 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor
- 8 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 9 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 10 St Albans Folk Festival 2021 to go ahead this weekend
But he still plays at the club up to three times a week, travelling over 20 miles from his home in Pinner.
As a reward for his recent victory Redbourn general manager Tristan Hall presented him with a bottle of champagne and said: “It’s a marvellous achievement for a senior golfer to shoot below their age and we are extremely pleased Wally has managed to achieve that feat with such a brilliant round of golf.”