Redbourn gears up for carnival day
SWORDS will be clanging, cannons roaring and the cavalry dashing at a civil war battle re-enactment on Redbourn Common this weekend.
The battle, performed by the Sealed Knot, is among the jam-packed line up of events at the Redbourn Carnival on Saturday (26) which is the centrepiece of the ongoing celebrations marking 900 years since the start of the village that more than 5,000 residents know and love today.
A contingent of the Earl of Northampton’s Regiment held a Call to Arms in the village High Street at the weekend in anticipation of the big event which kicks off at 11am and will see the Sealed Knot camp out on the common in traditional style and costume.
As well as the mock civil war showdown, there will be a free climbing wall, more than 60 stalls selling local produce and crafts as well as traditional events such as a tug-of-war at the event, which is being sponsored by the Crown Pharmacy and is expected to attract some 3,000 people.
Opening proceedings will be a parade led by the Enfield District Scout band and featuring the Blue Angel Majorettes, as well as village scouts, beavers, cubs, brownies, guides and rainbows, and children from the Hurst Theatre Group.
You may also want to watch:
Other highlights will include the world premier of the street play Amphibalus performed by The Redbourn Players and the chance to get a close-up look at the brand new Saab 9-5 model just launched in the UK.
Penny McAdam, the carnival organiser, said: “This will be a wonderful occasion with something for everyone. I have been amazed by the levels of interest, support and enthusiasm which have been shown by the community – this is going to be a top day out.”
- 1 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 2 Invincible London Colney youngsters complete incredible first season
- 3 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 4 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 5 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 6 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 7 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 8 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 9 St Albans Striders enjoy comfort of their home roads if not the heat and hills
- 10 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
A variety of local business have come together to sponsor the carnival and events including the new Crown Pharmacy, Squire Furneaux Saab, Grosvenor Wealth Management and Redbourn House.