Redbourn celebrates London 2012
MEMBERS of Redbourn’s youth council had a sneak preview of an Olympics-inspired torch designed by a local pupil ahead of a torch relay in the village this Saturday.
Megan, 17, and James, 14, Crawley walked around the Jubilee Arena at the recent Herts County Show with the torch, as St Albans farmer Bill Barr commentated.
The torch was designed by Year 6 Redbourn Junior pupil Sarah John.
It will be carried by 63 people through the village during its torch relay which starts at 9.45am this Saturday (June 16) from the Redbourn Recreation Centre and ends on the common.
Paul Sands, manager of the centre, said the “beautiful” torch was real and would be lit for the relay.
You may also want to watch:
He explained that about six months ago a committee was initiated to organise events centred on London 2012.
Paul added: “We wanted to do something for our community and thought it was a good way to involve different generations. There are seven different events planned; the biggest are our torch relay and a sports fun day the following weekend, on Saturday June 23.”
- 1 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 2 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 3 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 4 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 5 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 6 St Albans woman recognised with Queen's Award
- 7 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 8 St Albans crowned UK's cleanest city
- 9 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 10 Football club donates pitch to St Albans primary school