Redbourn celebrates London 2012
MEMBERS of Redbourn’s youth council had a sneak preview of an Olympics-inspired torch designed by a local pupil ahead of a torch relay in the village this Saturday.
Megan, 17, and James, 14, Crawley walked around the Jubilee Arena at the recent Herts County Show with the torch, as St Albans farmer Bill Barr commentated.
The torch was designed by Year 6 Redbourn Junior pupil Sarah John.
It will be carried by 63 people through the village during its torch relay which starts at 9.45am this Saturday (June 16) from the Redbourn Recreation Centre and ends on the common.
Paul Sands, manager of the centre, said the “beautiful” torch was real and would be lit for the relay.
You may also want to watch:
He explained that about six months ago a committee was initiated to organise events centred on London 2012.
Paul added: “We wanted to do something for our community and thought it was a good way to involve different generations. There are seven different events planned; the biggest are our torch relay and a sports fun day the following weekend, on Saturday June 23.”
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 Carillon Chamber Choir's farewell concert in St Albans