Record crowds at St Albans fireworks
A RECORD number of people crammed into Verulamium Park on Saturday night for a fantastic fireworks display. The fireworks spectacular, which was organised by St Albans Abbey, attracted around 30,000 visitors to the park and generated a total of �58,000 i
A RECORD number of people crammed into Verulamium Park on Saturday night for a fantastic fireworks display.
The fireworks spectacular, which was organised by St Albans Abbey, attracted around 30,000 visitors to the park and generated a total of �58,000 in entry charges, the most the event has ever raised.
Cllr Melvyn Teare, Portfolio Holder for Culture and Heritage at the district council, said that it was a "very successful" evening and added: "Everything went so smoothly and even the weather was kind to us. Our sponsors Giffen Group were very helpful in supplying equipment and giving a helping hand on the night."
Canon Stephen Lake, sub dean at The Abbey, said that it was the biggest and best fireworks display yet: "We had the best turn out, the best display and the best income that I've ever seen! I've never heard so many 'oohs and aahs' from the crowd, so I'm sure they enjoyed it too."
You may also want to watch:
He added: "It's great to see people supporting their local fireworks display and because of the big turn out, we can prepare to donate an impressive amount of money to our chosen charity, The Cancer Trust.
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 St Albans Band Aid raises £2,200 for local charities
- 3 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 4 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 5 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 6 Historic England asks: 'What do you love about your local high street?'
- 7 Honey to the bee - hiving off new flavours for local gin
- 8 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 9 Mission success for Three Peaks Challenge team
- 10 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book