Radlett Youth Council quizzes MP about politics
- Credit: Archant
Young people from Radlett had the chance to quiz an MP about politics at a Question Time-style event.
Oliver Dowden, MP for Hertsmere, met with Radlett Youth Council at Edge Grove School in Aldenham on Thursday, March 2. He was joined on the panel by county cllr Caroline Clapper, former Mayor of Hertsmere Stuart Nagler and Professor Steve Barnett of Watford General Hospital.
Speaking after the event, Mr Dowden said: “It was a pleasure to be on the panel. It was a fascinating discussion and it was great to see young people so engaged in politics.
“We covered a wide range of topics - from Brexit and social care to local parking. Hopefully it will have encouraged them to get involved in politics and maybe one day we’ll see one of them sitting in Parliament as well.”
The youth council, which is run by Aldenham Parish Council, is a public form for 11 to 18-year-olds in Radlett. It is designed to give young people a say in the running of their local area.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Dowden said: “I would like to thank Edge Grove’s headmaster, Ben Evans, for his excellent chairmanship of the evening and the members of the youth council for their questions, which kept the panel on their toes.”
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 3 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 4 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 5 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 6 Thunderstorms and possible flooding forecast for St Albans and Welwyn Hatfield area
- 7 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 8 St Albans County Lines crackdown continues with more arrests
- 9 Harpenden's first Sustainable Market is a scorching success
- 10 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'