Radlett woman’s surprise 100th birthday party
A RADLETT woman got a “big surprise” at the weekend, when members of her family came from overseas to celebrate her 100th birthday.
Mary Nelson marked the milestone on Sunday, December 4, with a special lunch at Aldenham Golf Club, surrounded by 35 friends and family members.
The centenarian said: “I met people I hadn’t seen for a while, it was a big surprise and it was lovely to see them.”
Born near Liverpool, Mary was the youngest of five children and moved to Radlett 73 years ago.
She was very active in the community, volunteering for the Women’s Voluntary Service and working for Meals on Wheels. She also spent time working at the local baby clinic.
Mary married at the age of 22 and went on to have three children, five grandchildren and 11 great-grandchildren.
A keen churchgoer, Mary’s other hobbies have including tennis, dancing and trips to the Grand National, having grown up not too far from the Aintree racecourse. Mary is also a keen gardener and has a passion for flowers.
- 1 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 2 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 3 Recap: Two crashes disrupting M1 and M25 drivers near St Albans
- 4 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 5 Hertfordshire grandad who died in A6 Bugatti crash had a 'generous spirit'
- 6 Pantomime dame from Radlett appears on ITV’s Britain’s Got Talent
- 7 Campaign to keep Chiswell 'green' gains momentum
- 8 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Hertfordshire
- 9 Church welcomes gay community event as part of St Albans Pub Pride
- 10 Mr Motorsports - the St Albans lawyer with F1 flair
When asked what the secret to living a long life was, Mary said she was unsure. However, with her father living to the age of 97, the family have put it all down to “good genes”!