Radlett pub heroes foil burglary
DRINKERS turned to heroes at a Radlett pub last week when they abandoned their pints to chase off burglars who had targeted a nearby bookmakers.
Around 10 customers were drinking on the patio outside the Red Lion Hotel shortly before 11pm last Tuesday evening when they saw a BMW pull up outside Coral Racing.
According to police, a group of offenders then got out of the car and forced entry into the Watling Street shop by smashing the glass.
Robin Nevill, general manager at the Red Lion, said: “The customers were on the patio outside the pub when they saw the BMW pull up.
“They obviously heard what happened and suddenly shouted inside for help and ran across the road to chase the guys off.”
A spokesperson for Herts Police said: “The offenders got back into the car and drove off down Watling Street, turning right into Aldenham Avenue.”
Police confirmed that nothing was taken during the incident and witnesses are now being sought.
- 1 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 2 Armed police seize machete from Sandpit Lane in St Albans
- 3 Police probe into death of man in 20s at 'Kinky Towers' in Hertfordshire
- 4 Peregrine falcon chick hatches at St Albans Cathedral in a city first
- 5 Hertfordshire teen bullying victim given royal honour
- 6 Success for Harpenden actor after National Youth Theatre audition
- 7 Rapist jailed for 15 years after kidnapping teen in Hemel Hempstead
- 8 The Crossrail connections to Hertfordshire which were never built
- 9 St Albans SustFest events aim to boost local nature
- 10 5 things you might not have known about Herts county council's new chairman
Anyone with information should contact Det Con Laura Chillingworth on the non-emergency number 101.