Radlett pub heroes foil burglary
DRINKERS turned to heroes at a Radlett pub last week when they abandoned their pints to chase off burglars who had targeted a nearby bookmakers.
Around 10 customers were drinking on the patio outside the Red Lion Hotel shortly before 11pm last Tuesday evening when they saw a BMW pull up outside Coral Racing.
According to police, a group of offenders then got out of the car and forced entry into the Watling Street shop by smashing the glass.
Robin Nevill, general manager at the Red Lion, said: “The customers were on the patio outside the pub when they saw the BMW pull up.
“They obviously heard what happened and suddenly shouted inside for help and ran across the road to chase the guys off.”
You may also want to watch:
A spokesperson for Herts Police said: “The offenders got back into the car and drove off down Watling Street, turning right into Aldenham Avenue.”
Police confirmed that nothing was taken during the incident and witnesses are now being sought.
- 1 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 2 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 3 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 4 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only
- 5 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 8 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 9 Property Spotlight: A spacious family home in Harpenden's prestigious West Common
- 10 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
Anyone with information should contact Det Con Laura Chillingworth on the non-emergency number 101.