Radlett lottery winners bag £1million
- Credit: Ady Kerry
A lucky Radlett pair are celebrating a huge windfall after winning a whopping £1million in the lottery.
Mum Brenda Page, 66, and daughter Julie Page, 32, are suddenly rich after scooping the Lotto Millionaire Raffle top prize on July 8.
Their winning ticket was bought four weeks in advance, with Brenda checking each batch as she buys the next - she realised their big break only after seeing a unclaimed winnings story in the local press.
Now they have suddenly become flush, the two women plan to spend the money on buying new houses - it is especially fortuitous timing since Julie is engaged and has just been made redundant.
Julie said: “I was made redundant a few weeks ago so was on a temp job when mum called. She was whispering about a story in the newspaper and a lottery ticket, and for a moment I thought she’d gone a bit loopy but when she said ‘and we’ve won one million’ I soon took notice.”
That evening, the pair celebrated with a cup of tea.
“When I got home I told my partner I had good and bad news. The bad was I had a parking ticket, and the good was that he was about to marry into a millionaire family.
- 1 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 4 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's West Common
- 5 London Colney children will be going nuts for this new Scouts group
- 6 St Albans recycling heroes raise £28K for hospice
- 7 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star
- 8 Saints respond to Cheshunt shocker with hard-fought draw at Chelmsford
- 9 Seven men arrested on suspicion of St Albans burglary
- 10 'Visually striking' Chaos Dancing Cosmos installation at St Albans Museum + Gallery
“He looked up and said ‘how did you get a parking ticket?’ before doing a double-take and asking me to repeat the bit about a millionaire.
“We got engaged last year and have already confirmed lots of the plans for our big day but, while we will still keep it a fairly small affair, it will be so nice to finish our plans without one eye constantly on the bank balance.”
Brenda added: “Julie and I are so close and being able to share this win is just magical.
“To know that we will both be able to buy our own homes outright as a result is the absolute icing on the cake.”
The winning ticket at Dipa News on Shenley Road in Borehamwood.