Radlett garden designer’s Chelsea Flower Show success
- Credit: Archant
GARDEN designer Kate Gould struck gold at the Chelsea Flower Show last week with her show garden The Wasteland.
Champagne flowed as Kate, from Radlett, celebrated getting a Gold Medal at the prestigious show following 12 months’ determination and hard work .
And it was not built for sponsors like most of the gardens in the show – Kate took the almost unheard of decision to self-fund the garden herself.
Designed as a community space imagined on an abandoned industrial site, the garden made use of the harsh industrial materials already in place and softened them with planting, water features and trees.
It received a hugely positive response from visitors to the show, many of whom were fascinated by the recycled shopping trolley screen and the bath tub chair.
The garden was a departure from Kate’s usual style of contemporary and sleek city gardens and was inspired by her experiences working in and around London.
A regular exhibitor in the urban garden category, The Wasteland is the sixth garden she has designed for Chelsea.
- 1 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 2 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 5 Green light given for St Albans City to hit the transfer market but patience is key says Allinson
- 6 'Visually striking' Chaos Dancing Cosmos installation at St Albans Museum + Gallery
- 7 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star
- 8 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 9 MP condemns government over BBC threat
- 10 Allinson happy with the reaction from St Albans City in the draw at Chelmsford
In previous years she has been awarded several gold and silver-gilt awards along with the much coveted ‘best in category’ for her 2007 Upstairs Downstairs garden and 2009 Eco Chic Garden.
After the presentation of the awards, Kate said: “We are absolutely delighted to be awarded Gold; the Chelsea Flower Show is the most prestigious gardening event of the year and a Gold Medal is an enormous honour.”