Radlett centenarian celebrates with birthday party
- Credit: Archant
A great-grandmother has celebrated her 100th birthday with a party laid on by staff at her retirement home.
Margaret Newton, who has lived at Aldwyck Housing Group’s Slade Court in Radlett for more than 22 years with her husband Christopher, celebrated her centenary on Friday, April 15.
Christopher said: “We had a family do without the great grandchildren to reduce the noise factor.
“Margaret was so pleased to be sent the card from the Queen; it has pride of place in our home.”
Margaret and family enjoyed the food and drink provided by the staff at the party, where all the guests could admire the birthday card she received from the Queen, who has also celebrated a milestone birthday herself turning 90 on Thursday last week.
You may also want to watch:
Margaret enjoyed a career as a midwife and a nurse and was working on a medical mission at a hospital in St Anthony on the Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador in 1945 when she met Christopher who was deployed in voluntary service overseas.
They returned to England and married in 1950 and have two children, six grandchildren and seven great grandchildren, with an eighth due later this year.
- 1 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 2 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 3 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 4 St Albans mum wins award for contribution to SEN
- 5 Church unveils new eco-garden to support wildlife in St Albans
- 6 St Albans Band Aid raises £2,200 for local charities
- 7 St Albans City get the FA Cup train moving with replay success over Concord
- 8 Mission success for Three Peaks Challenge team
- 9 Remembering Morris Minor Owners Club treasurer and St Albans stalwart
- 10 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
Margaret still keeps her mind sharp and has recently learnt how to use an iPad and challenges herself by completing daily puzzles.
Speaking of their longevity, Christopher, 90, said: “Love keeps our marriage alive; we feel very privileged to have been together for all this time.”
Housing officer Joanna Noakes said: “Margaret and Christopher have been with us for many years and everyone is very fond of them.
“It was a pleasure to arrange the special afternoon tea for Margaret so we could all celebrate her landmark birthday together with everyone here at Slade Court.”