Radlett centenarian celebrates with birthday party
- Credit: Archant
A great-grandmother has celebrated her 100th birthday with a party laid on by staff at her retirement home.
Margaret Newton, who has lived at Aldwyck Housing Group’s Slade Court in Radlett for more than 22 years with her husband Christopher, celebrated her centenary on Friday, April 15.
Christopher said: “We had a family do without the great grandchildren to reduce the noise factor.
“Margaret was so pleased to be sent the card from the Queen; it has pride of place in our home.”
Margaret and family enjoyed the food and drink provided by the staff at the party, where all the guests could admire the birthday card she received from the Queen, who has also celebrated a milestone birthday herself turning 90 on Thursday last week.
Margaret enjoyed a career as a midwife and a nurse and was working on a medical mission at a hospital in St Anthony on the Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador in 1945 when she met Christopher who was deployed in voluntary service overseas.
They returned to England and married in 1950 and have two children, six grandchildren and seven great grandchildren, with an eighth due later this year.
- 1 Club night revival in St Albans
- 2 Woman assaulted by teenage boys in Hemel Hempstead underpass
- 3 St Albans woman stops British Grand Prix at Silverstone
- 4 Man stabbed in St Albans
- 5 St Albans District pupils power to success in the pool
- 6 Aldi prioritises St Albans for new store
- 7 Cock fight ends Company of Ten's first-rate season at the Abbey Theatre
- 8 Daughter taking the plunge in mum's memory
- 9 10 reasons to visit this sustainable, family-owned farm shop in St Albans
- 10 St Albans paedophile jailed for trying to arrange online abuse
Margaret still keeps her mind sharp and has recently learnt how to use an iPad and challenges herself by completing daily puzzles.
Speaking of their longevity, Christopher, 90, said: “Love keeps our marriage alive; we feel very privileged to have been together for all this time.”
Housing officer Joanna Noakes said: “Margaret and Christopher have been with us for many years and everyone is very fond of them.
“It was a pleasure to arrange the special afternoon tea for Margaret so we could all celebrate her landmark birthday together with everyone here at Slade Court.”