Racing away to charity cash
SIX friends who met when they attended the Cancer the Next Step course at Grove House have got together to give something back to the St Albans day hospice. They held a race night at Townsend Tennis Club in St Albans which galloped in with nearly �2,300 f
SIX friends who met when they attended the Cancer the Next Step course at Grove House have got together to give something back to the St Albans day hospice.
They held a race night at Townsend Tennis Club in St Albans which galloped in with nearly �2,300 for Grove House.
One member of the group, Valerie Lucien, said: "Grove House supported us through a very difficult time in our lives. We decided as a group that we would like to do something to ensure that Grove House could continue to help others like ourselves.
She described the race night as a huge success, due in no small measure to the companies which sponsored races, and there was an added bonus because Ladbrokes, which cooperated in the event, matched the funds raised.
You may also want to watch:
Grove House community fundraiser, Liz Hizli, said: "These lovely ladies raised �1,000 for us at a Beetle Drive last year so we were especially grateful to receive another wonderful cheque.
"Every single pound raised makes a difference to the lives of local people living with cancer and life-threatening illness."
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 4 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 9 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 10 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
To find out more about Cancer the Next Step or to organise a fund-raising event for Grove House, call 01727 731000 or visit www.grove-house.org.uk