Racing away to charity cash
SIX friends who met when they attended the Cancer the Next Step course at Grove House have got together to give something back to the St Albans day hospice. They held a race night at Townsend Tennis Club in St Albans which galloped in with nearly �2,300 f
SIX friends who met when they attended the Cancer the Next Step course at Grove House have got together to give something back to the St Albans day hospice.
They held a race night at Townsend Tennis Club in St Albans which galloped in with nearly �2,300 for Grove House.
One member of the group, Valerie Lucien, said: "Grove House supported us through a very difficult time in our lives. We decided as a group that we would like to do something to ensure that Grove House could continue to help others like ourselves.
She described the race night as a huge success, due in no small measure to the companies which sponsored races, and there was an added bonus because Ladbrokes, which cooperated in the event, matched the funds raised.
Grove House community fundraiser, Liz Hizli, said: "These lovely ladies raised �1,000 for us at a Beetle Drive last year so we were especially grateful to receive another wonderful cheque.
"Every single pound raised makes a difference to the lives of local people living with cancer and life-threatening illness."
- 1 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 4 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star
- 5 'Visually striking' Chaos Dancing Cosmos installation at St Albans Museum + Gallery
- 6 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 7 Saints respond to Cheshunt shocker with hard-fought draw at Chelmsford
- 8 Green light given for St Albans City to hit the transfer market but patience is key says Allinson
- 9 London Colney children will be going nuts for this new Scouts group
- 10 St Albans recycling heroes raise £28K for hospice
To find out more about Cancer the Next Step or to organise a fund-raising event for Grove House, call 01727 731000 or visit www.grove-house.org.uk