Quick action saves theatre in fire drama
A FIRE at a 100-year-old former hospital chapel now used as a theatre and arts base would have been much worse if it hadn t been for a quick-thinking member of staff. Two fire crews were sent to the Trestle Arts Base in Russet Drive, St Albans, at around
A FIRE at a 100-year-old former hospital chapel now used as a theatre and arts base would have been much worse if it hadn't been for a quick-thinking member of staff.
Two fire crews were sent to the Trestle Arts Base in Russet Drive, St Albans, at around 9am yesterday (Wednesday) morning where they found a lamp had overheated and started a fire in the lobby.
It had been accidentally left on overnight and the heat ignited some nearby clothing.
The woman who opened up the theatre in the morning discovered the fire and raised the alarm before using a carbon dioxide extinguisher to douse the flames.
A St Albans firefighter praised her actions which he said had helped to minimise the damage caused to the building.
Firefighters used ventilation equipment to disperse the smoke and left the scene at around 9.50am.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 From St Albans to the Australian outback for The Tourist's Shalom Brune-Franklin in BBC One series
- 4 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 5 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 6 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 7 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 8 Ian Allinson praises 'unbelievable shift' of St Albans City players against Maidstone
- 9 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 10 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
General manager Natalie Richardson said the fire blackened a wall but aside from that there was not much damage and repairs would not be expensive.