Quick action saves theatre in fire drama
A FIRE at a 100-year-old former hospital chapel now used as a theatre and arts base would have been much worse if it hadn t been for a quick-thinking member of staff. Two fire crews were sent to the Trestle Arts Base in Russet Drive, St Albans, at around
A FIRE at a 100-year-old former hospital chapel now used as a theatre and arts base would have been much worse if it hadn't been for a quick-thinking member of staff.
Two fire crews were sent to the Trestle Arts Base in Russet Drive, St Albans, at around 9am yesterday (Wednesday) morning where they found a lamp had overheated and started a fire in the lobby.
It had been accidentally left on overnight and the heat ignited some nearby clothing.
The woman who opened up the theatre in the morning discovered the fire and raised the alarm before using a carbon dioxide extinguisher to douse the flames.
You may also want to watch:
A St Albans firefighter praised her actions which he said had helped to minimise the damage caused to the building.
Firefighters used ventilation equipment to disperse the smoke and left the scene at around 9.50am.
- 1 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 2 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 3 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 4 St Albans mum wins award for contribution to SEN
- 5 Church unveils new eco-garden to support wildlife in St Albans
- 6 St Albans Band Aid raises £2,200 for local charities
- 7 St Albans City get the FA Cup train moving with replay success over Concord
- 8 Mission success for Three Peaks Challenge team
- 9 Remembering Morris Minor Owners Club treasurer and St Albans stalwart
- 10 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
General manager Natalie Richardson said the fire blackened a wall but aside from that there was not much damage and repairs would not be expensive.