Quick action saves theatre in fire drama

PUBLISHED: 14:28 15 May 2008 | UPDATED: 13:15 06 May 2010

A FIRE at a 100-year-old former hospital chapel now used as a theatre and arts base would have been much worse if it hadn t been for a quick-thinking member of staff. Two fire crews were sent to the Trestle Arts Base in Russet Drive, St Albans, at around

A FIRE at a 100-year-old former hospital chapel now used as a theatre and arts base would have been much worse if it hadn't been for a quick-thinking member of staff.

Two fire crews were sent to the Trestle Arts Base in Russet Drive, St Albans, at around 9am yesterday (Wednesday) morning where they found a lamp had overheated and started a fire in the lobby.

It had been accidentally left on overnight and the heat ignited some nearby clothing.

The woman who opened up the theatre in the morning discovered the fire and raised the alarm before using a carbon dioxide extinguisher to douse the flames.

A St Albans firefighter praised her actions which he said had helped to minimise the damage caused to the building.

Firefighters used ventilation equipment to disperse the smoke and left the scene at around 9.50am.

General manager Natalie Richardson said the fire blackened a wall but aside from that there was not much damage and repairs would not be expensive.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Herts Advertiser