Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service given to St Albans Organ Museum
- Credit: St Albans Organ Theatre
St Albans Musical Museum Society (SAMMS), previously known as St Albans Organ Museum, has been awarded the Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service (QAVS).
The award was announced by the Lord Lieutenant for Herts, Robert Voss CBE, and is one of five presented to groups across the county.
The QAVS was created in 2002 to celebrate the anniversary of the Queen’s Coronation and has been awarded every year on June 2 since 2003.
Any group doing voluntary work that provides a social, economic or environmental service to the local community can be nominated, and 31 groups in Herts have previously been awarded the QAVS, including Rennie Grove Hospice Care.
Mr Voss said: “This award is equivalent to an individual honour for exceptional service to the community. All five groups have been honoured for their committed community work in Hertfordshire.”
You may also want to watch:
SAMMS aims to advance the public’s appreciation and knowledge of the art, science and technology relating to historical, mechanical musical instruments including rescuing, maintaining and playing redundant theatre and cinema organs.
The Lord Lieutenant added: “I see so much excellent voluntary work done across Hertfordshire. I would encourage Hertfordshire residents to nominate groups which provide exceptional service within the county for a Queen’s Award.”
- 1 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 2 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 3 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 6 History comes to life at Celtic Harmony in Hertfordshire
- 7 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 8 Property Secrets: St Albans Green councillor Simon Grover
- 9 Youngsters star in Watford win much to delight of St Albans City boss Ian Allinson
- 10 St Albans violent crime: Recreational drug users 'feeding' County Lines
Mr Voss will be presenting the QAVS to SAMMS volunteers at their 40th anniversary celebrations on June 16.
Guidance on criteria for a QAVS, how to nominate and the application form are available at https://qavs.direct.gov.uk. There is also information on the county lieutenancy website: https://lord-lieutenant-herts.org.uk/the-queens-award-for-voluntary-service.aspx