Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service given to St Albans Organ Museum
- Credit: St Albans Organ Theatre
St Albans Musical Museum Society (SAMMS), previously known as St Albans Organ Museum, has been awarded the Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service (QAVS).
The award was announced by the Lord Lieutenant for Herts, Robert Voss CBE, and is one of five presented to groups across the county.
The QAVS was created in 2002 to celebrate the anniversary of the Queen’s Coronation and has been awarded every year on June 2 since 2003.
Any group doing voluntary work that provides a social, economic or environmental service to the local community can be nominated, and 31 groups in Herts have previously been awarded the QAVS, including Rennie Grove Hospice Care.
Mr Voss said: “This award is equivalent to an individual honour for exceptional service to the community. All five groups have been honoured for their committed community work in Hertfordshire.”
You may also want to watch:
SAMMS aims to advance the public’s appreciation and knowledge of the art, science and technology relating to historical, mechanical musical instruments including rescuing, maintaining and playing redundant theatre and cinema organs.
The Lord Lieutenant added: “I see so much excellent voluntary work done across Hertfordshire. I would encourage Hertfordshire residents to nominate groups which provide exceptional service within the county for a Queen’s Award.”
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 7 From supplying secret agents to headmaster's secretary, Patricia celebrates centenary
- 8 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 9 Our local wildlife needs your voice!
- 10 Apply for free tickets to be in the audience of The Masked Singer UK in Hertfordshire
Mr Voss will be presenting the QAVS to SAMMS volunteers at their 40th anniversary celebrations on June 16.
Guidance on criteria for a QAVS, how to nominate and the application form are available at https://qavs.direct.gov.uk. There is also information on the county lieutenancy website: https://lord-lieutenant-herts.org.uk/the-queens-award-for-voluntary-service.aspx