Primary pupils are challenged
A CHALLENGE has been set for each primary school in the district to enter as many pupils into a 1.5 mile fun run as possible. The competition, organised by the Sports Development Team, takes place alongside the St Albans Half-Marathon which is now in its
A CHALLENGE has been set for each primary school in the district to enter as many pupils into a 1.5 mile fun run as possible.
The competition, organised by the Sports Development Team, takes place alongside the St Albans Half-Marathon which is now in its 27th year.
St Columba's College in King Harry Lane won the shield last year with a record number of 77 pupils taking part in the fun run.
The event on June 8, which is open to those aged 12 and under, starts and ends in Verulamium Park and loops around the lake.
You may also want to watch:
The winning team will be presented with the shield on the day with all participants also receiving a medal and t-shirt on completion of the race.
Parents are welcome to run alongside their children.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 3 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 4 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 5 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 9 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 10 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
The day is being supported by the British Heart Foundation and in addition to the fun run and half-marathon, there will also be a walking half-marathon and a 1k to 5k Hearts Healthy Jog.
The St Albans Half-Marathon was launched in 1981 by local business man Phil Gibson who, after the death of his mother, staged the event to support City Hospital in their bid to buy a new scanner.
Each year the event attracts up to 4,500 entrants.
For more information and to obtain entry forms. visit the half-marathon website at www.stalbanshalfmarathon.co.uk or call the event team on 01727 827667. Entry forms can be sent to individuals or to schools in batches.