Primary pupils are challenged
A CHALLENGE has been set for each primary school in the district to enter as many pupils into a 1.5 mile fun run as possible. The competition, organised by the Sports Development Team, takes place alongside the St Albans Half-Marathon which is now in its
A CHALLENGE has been set for each primary school in the district to enter as many pupils into a 1.5 mile fun run as possible.
The competition, organised by the Sports Development Team, takes place alongside the St Albans Half-Marathon which is now in its 27th year.
St Columba's College in King Harry Lane won the shield last year with a record number of 77 pupils taking part in the fun run.
The event on June 8, which is open to those aged 12 and under, starts and ends in Verulamium Park and loops around the lake.
You may also want to watch:
The winning team will be presented with the shield on the day with all participants also receiving a medal and t-shirt on completion of the race.
Parents are welcome to run alongside their children.
- 1 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 St Albans named among UK's most family-friendly cities
- 4 Fashionistas flock to Cathedral catwalk extravaganza
- 5 Light at the end of the gulley for long-running flooding
- 6 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 7 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 8 As sewage debate continues, how have our MPs voted?
- 9 Property Spotlight: A characterful Victorian home in Wheathampstead
- 10 Fly-tipped rubbish near Heartwood Forest set to be cleared
The day is being supported by the British Heart Foundation and in addition to the fun run and half-marathon, there will also be a walking half-marathon and a 1k to 5k Hearts Healthy Jog.
The St Albans Half-Marathon was launched in 1981 by local business man Phil Gibson who, after the death of his mother, staged the event to support City Hospital in their bid to buy a new scanner.
Each year the event attracts up to 4,500 entrants.
For more information and to obtain entry forms. visit the half-marathon website at www.stalbanshalfmarathon.co.uk or call the event team on 01727 827667. Entry forms can be sent to individuals or to schools in batches.