Prezzo set to axe 100 restaurants in major restructuring
- Credit: Archant
Casual dining chain Prezzo – which has restaurants in Harpenden and St Albans – plans to close up to a third of its 300 locations across Britain.
The Italian-themed chain, owned by private equity firm TPG Capital, is set to launch a company voluntary arrangement within days in an attempt to overhaul its finances.
There are Prezzo restaurants in St Albans’ Christopher Place, on Verulam Road, and in Harpenden on Leyton Road. The Herts Ad has contacted Prezzo to ask if these two locations will be affected, but has yet to receive a response.
Hundreds of positions are at risk at about 100 Prezzo-owned outlets, though an insider told Sky News the number of lost jobs was expected to be far below a third of the full 4,500-person workforce.
Prezzo has been run by former Travelodge executive Jon Hendry Pickup since 2016. The CVA will be overseen by advisory firm AlixPartner, and is likely to involve negotiations with landlords to try to reduce rents at many of the restaurants that remain.
You may also want to watch:
The bleak news comes as a third blow to the high street on a day when both Toys R Us UK and Maplin – each a mainstay of retail – went into administration.
Other casual dining chains to go through a CVA in recent months include Jamie’s Italian – part of celebrity chef Jamie Oliver’s restaurant business – and Byron Hamburgers.
- 1 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 2 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 3 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 4 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 5 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 6 St Albans woman recognised with Queen's Award
- 7 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 8 St Albans crowned UK's cleanest city
- 9 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 10 Football club donates pitch to St Albans primary school