Prevention order for Harpenden sex offender
A 62-year-old man from Harpenden who was convicted of having a sexual relationship with a child in 2004 was made the subject of a sexual offences prevention order on Friday.
The order was handed to Malcolm Angell by St Albans Magistrates’ Court and has placed the sex offender under a number of restrictions including preventing him from accessing internet chat rooms. This comes after the court heard Angell was convicted in 2004 of engaging in sexual activity with a 12-year-old girl whom he met over the internet.
Hertfordshire Police applied for the sexual offences prevention order (SOPO), which also stops him from going on websites relating to the care and nurture of children, to be made after they raised concerns Angell was likely to reoffend because of his concerning behaviour.
Det Con Gina Gallucci, from the public protection unit at Herts Police, told the court: “I am aware he struck up a relationship with a person under the age of 16 and I want to remove that opportunity to go to other areas were he might find children who he could have a relationship with.”
She added: “I don’t think he can stop himself, he is asking us to help him. I feel these are necessary.”
You may also want to watch:
Before passing the order District Judge Astle asked Angell, who was unrepresented, if he had anything to say to the court.
He replied: “What has happened I will never do again. I have never hurt anybody that is not in my nature. That is all I want to say.”
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 3 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 4 St Albans Band Aid raises £2,200 for local charities
- 5 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 6 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 7 Shortages crisis hits district
- 8 Historic England asks: 'What do you love about your local high street?'
- 9 Magic Johnson keeps St Albans City in the FA Cup at Concord Rangers
- 10 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
A SOPO lasts for a minimum of five years or until further order.