Prestigious ballet role for Radlett teen
- Credit: Archant
A Radlett teen who has only been doing ballet for three years is starring in a major London production of Lord of the Flies.
Samuel Varley was handpicked out of 900 students to star in the Matthew Bourne directed adaption at Sadler’s Wells theatre, along with 21 others.
The production marks the 13-year-old first big ballet show and he is currently in the midst of rehearsals in between his schooling at Sylvia Young performing arts school.
Sam’s character is part of a group of schoolboys in the new show which is inspired by William Golding’s classic dystopian novel.
The boys find themselves abandoned in a deserted theatre and start to make their own rules and create their own civilisation, before order breaks down and the story builds to an electrifying climax.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “Rehearsals have been brilliant, it’s all starting to piece together.
“I think the most exciting thing that I am excited about is just getting up there and doing it, and being on stage and everyone watching.”
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 Carillon Chamber Choir's farewell concert in St Albans
Sam said his mum, dad and little sister Grace, eight, were very excited to see him perform in the show: “They’re just as excited as me. Without them I wouldn’t be able to do this so I’m very grateful.
Fiona Ross, Sadler’s Wells’ director of community and engagement said of Sam and his peers in the show: “The Lord of the Flies London cast is a unique and exciting group of boys and young men with real talent.
Each one of these young dancers has been on a real journey to reach this stage; we saw some of them five times throughout the recruitment process which for us sums up their commitment and dedication to this project.”
The show began yesterday and will run until October 11.