Post Office set to reopen in new Harpenden store
A HARPENDEN supermarket is undergoing an �846,000 refit to transform it into a new Co-operative store, opening at Southdown later this month.
And in what will be a major boost to local people, the former Southdown Post Office is being relocated to the new store in Southdown Road and will open on the same day, Thursday, November 18.
A spokesman for the Co-op said that 30 new jobs would be created at the former Somerfield supermarket, bringing the total staff employed there to 105. The group acquired the Somerfield chain last year and is currently re-branding the stores throughout the country.
A Post Office spokesman said: “We are delighted to be able to confirm the relocation date of this branch. The same range of services will continue to be available and customers will still be able to collect benefits in cash using our everyday banking services or the Post Office card account.
“Customers will benefit from the following; a brand new, modern purpose-built serving counter, level entry with automatic door to assist customers with mobility constraints, low-level writing desk, low-level serving counter and a hearing loop. There is a large customer car park with designated disabled bays.”
You may also want to watch:
Harpenden resident Valerie Newton, who regularly shops in the area, welcomed the major refurbishment and said that being without a Post Office in the Southdown shopping area for about a year had been, “like someone had taken the beating heart out of that little shopping community.”
And she predicted that the modernised Co-op store and relocated Post Office would “breathe new life into the Southdown community just in time for Christmas.”
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 4 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 5 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 9 Invincible London Colney youngsters complete incredible first season
- 10 St Albans Striders enjoy comfort of their home roads if not the heat and hills