Post Office appeal for someone to run branch
AN APPEAL has been launched to find someone to run a closure-threatened branch post office branch in Harpenden when it is found a new home. The branch in Southdown is set to shut on Wednesday, January 21, as Balfour News, in which the post office is locat
AN APPEAL has been launched to find someone to run a closure-threatened branch post office branch in Harpenden when it is found a new home.
The branch in Southdown is set to shut on Wednesday, January 21, as Balfour News, in which the post office is located, will close permanently.
But the Post Office is insisting the closure of the branch is only temporary and they are urgently seeking a new home in the area to maintain services.
The current sub-postmaster has also resigned which has opened up a vacancy for the running of the branch.
You may also want to watch:
While the branch is closed, Harpenden will be left with just two post offices, the main one in Station Road in the town centre and a branch at Kinsbourne Green.
A Post Office spokesperson said: "We understand that the people of Harpenden will be concerned about the future of post office services in their area. The provision of a post office branch in the local community is important to us and we will continue to work hard to restore a facility in the area as soon as possible. Unfortunately our efforts have so far failed.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 2 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 3 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 4 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 5 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 6 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 7 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 8 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 9 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 10 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
"I would urge any potential partners interested in running the post office branch to come forward as soon as possible. Post Office Ltd apologises for the inconvenience this temporary closure will cause to customers."
News that the branch would close has sparked a campaign by local people and councillors to maintain post office services in the area.
Anyone interested in the vacancy is urged to contact 0845 6016260 or write to Agent Services, Post Office Ltd, HR Service Centre, Stone Hill Road, Farnworth, Bolton, BL4 9XX.