Police station development bidding begins
THE POLICE have opened up the bidding for their large city centre station which looks set to be demolished. The successful developer will be required to provide an alternative station within 500 metres of the current St Albans site in Victoria Street. Bec
THE POLICE have opened up the bidding for their large city centre station which looks set to be demolished.
The successful developer will be required to provide an alternative station within 500 metres of the current St Albans site in Victoria Street.
Because of new custodial facilities at Hatfield serving the whole of the area, the new station will not need any cells to hold people.
Making the announcement this week, chair of the Herts Police Authority, Yasmin Batliwala, said: "Policing the city of St Albans is very important to the authority and we will do nothing that threatens the good policing service currently provided."
She added: "We are confident that this approach will not only allow us to improve our police station facilities in St Albans but will also maximise the potential of the existing site."
St Albans MP Anne Main welcomed the news saying it was, "a golden opportunity to create a visionary development there."
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 4 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 5 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 6 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 7 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 8 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 9 Caretakers of creation: church's work protecting environment
- 10 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
She said that it would be a disappointment to see the entire site consumed by housing and made the suggestion of a department store or a cinema.