Teenager arrested as police crack down on knife crime in St Albans

Police arrested a 14-year-old boy on suspicion of possessing a knife.

Police arrested a 14-year-old boy on suspicion of possessing a knife. - Credit: Archant

Police have been stopping and searching young people in St Albans after a teenager was stabbed last month.

A knife was recovered in Hixberry Lane at 2pm yesterday (Monday, July 2).

A 14-year-old boy was arrested on suspicion of possessing a knife and has since been released under investigation, pending further enquiries.

St Albans Neighbourhood Inspector Jon Roche said: “Knives can be very dangerous as we have seen recently with the two stabbings over the past few weeks in the St Albans district.

“We are determined to deal robustly with knives to safeguard young people. If you suspect anyone is carrying a knife, please get in touch with us.

“We do not want to see any more young people being injured in the district. Parents, please speak to your children about the irreversible consequences of carrying and using knives.”

Herts police officers were given temporary powers to stop and search people after a teenager was attacked in Verulamium Park on June 15.

Most Read

Ch Insp Stuart Cheek added: “This is not a one-off response, but rather part of a longer term plan involving St Albans council, schools, colleges and parents to speak to their children about the danger of carrying knives.

“We will continue to have overt and covert police patrols in areas we suspect people are gathering with weapons.

“Please let us know if you have any information about those carrying knives so that we can intervene before anyone is hurt by calling us on 101 or 999 if you suspect an offence is occurring or is imminent.”

“We don’t want any more young people or their families in St Albans having to deal with the after-effects of crime committed using a knife.

“Together, as a community, we can help keep St Albans a safe place to live, work and visit.”

Three teenage boys were arrested following the attack, and a 14-year-old boy was charged with grievous bodily harm and assault by beating.