Police protecting Harpenden’s elderly with week-long project
NOT sure? Don’t open the door! That was the message spread by Herts police over the course of this week.
Herts police dedicated the whole week to raising awareness of distraction burglary, a crime which very often hits elderly and vulnerable residents living in St Albans and Harpenden.
Following a launch ceremony at Harpenden police station on Monday (16), officers from Operation Manhunt and Safer Neighbourhood Teams spilled out onto the streets to offer passers-by top tips and advice on avoiding distraction burglaries.
Today (19) Harpenden officers will be stationed outside Sainsbury’s on the High Street from 3 to 5pm ready to answer any questions, and on Friday the same team will be outside M&S near the Church Green. As well as not opening the door to strangers, their main messages are always ask for identification from expected visitors, and never keep large amounts of cash at home.
Sgt Lewis Duckett, who oversaw the product in St Albans earlier this week, said that it was vital to get the message across: “We’re trying hard to encourage family members and neighbours of elderly and vulnerable people to be particularly alert, and ring us if they see a suspicious person hanging around.”
You may also want to watch:
He added: “Unfortunately, this type of offence particularly affects the elderly because they are from a trusting generation which kept the front door open.”
To report a suspicious caller in your area, call the non-emergency number 0845 3300222.
- 1 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 2 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 3 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 4 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 5 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 6 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 7 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 8 St Albans woman recognised with Queen's Award
- 9 Football club donates pitch to St Albans primary school
- 10 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival